Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Baring the soul of who we are, to others we do not even know

With the messages I am getting in email and twitter accounts maybe "someone" knows me better than myself.  Advertisements, messages, promotions, and efforts targeted towards me with their comfy questions or appeals are based on the knowledge I have shared with my searches, emails, and interaction in the universe of electronic communication.

In the old days, I would get the phone calls and the junk mail based on preferences of politics and likes with signing up on mailing lists with various groups.  But that has all changed.  It has been four years since I received a laptop and begun my presence on the Internet.  I took the initiative to start a Twitter account, have a blog, and to communicate in a way that has revolutionized my efforts to effect change in the community and state I live in.  But what have I given up?

I am still trying to figure that out for myself.  I have an idea or two.  A fact I have taken into consideration is the following stated in 1968:

Arthur R. Miller, professor of law at the University of Michigan, has said: “The computer, with its insatiable appetite for information, its ‘image’ of infallibility, its inability to forget anything that has been put into it, may become the heart of a surveillance system that will turn society into a transparent world in which our home, our finances, our associations, our mental and physical condition are bared to the most casual observer.”

No comments:

Post a Comment